Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hope for the faint hearted?

Hi all

The trouble I have had arriving here!! The login I wrote down for iGoogle at the workshop did not want to work ... so I tried the "Forget your password" link. It did veryify that gerrygreen is in fact a username, and the password was successfully sent to my gmail account.

Given that a few months ago in another life I created a gmail account, I found my little black book kept for such things and voila! it logged in alright but no sign of the email containing my password. I don't know of another gmail account that I may have .... did one get set up automatically when I created the iGoogle account? It probably said that somewhere on the front page which I didn't read.

Anyway aren't I actually in Blogger?? Do the passwords for Blogger and iGoogle match?? It probably said that somewhere on the front page which I didn't read. I did have a Blogger account once .... eons ago in about 2004. God knows what the username and password for that is. It's probably dropped me from its social register by now in any case.

Anyway I tried an email account address password retrieval and now I am here ... but I suspect that what I have actually done is created a new account on Blogger. It probably said that somewhere on the front page which I didn't read.


Oh dear the tribulations of social software. I'm going off to iGoogle now to see what happens when I try to log in there. I have already tried the Elluminate log in thing ... successfully ... so my ego isn't totally destroyed (yet).

How unsocial can social software be? I ask myself. Oh for the days of a nice safe e-Learning environment with one URL and one logon.!!

1 comment:

Val Evans said...

You've raised an interesting issue Gerry and certainly one that has been mentioned by quite a few social software enthusiasts, ie the number of different usernames and passwords to access the different software.

Perhaps someone can suggest strategies for dealing with this?