Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reflections

Hi everyone

This is the first time I have visited a blog but had a couple of minutes spare and thought it time to put "pen" to paper.

I have enjoyed our Elluminate sessions. It is a wonderful interative tool and fairly easy to get the hang of.

The process of meeting at the same time and place via this style of medium has highlighted a few problems for me personally.

Yes Val, time is the major difficulty. I have set aside the session times but it can still be difficult to (a) be there on time! and (b) do nothing else for two hours in the middle of the day.

I would have really enjoyed learning some new technology. Even if I was not able to actually experience it but I would like to know more about using various technologies and tools eg uploading videos; how to facilitate an online session; how to make the learning interactive. I was sorry that I was unable to be present for the Second Life presentation.

I realise that I am able to explore some of these items myself in my own time (when I have some!!) and will do so. Thanks for all the suggested links.

One point I have noticed though is that there are problems with having a conversation when we are all on-line. It is okay when someone has the microphone but very difficult to have continuity of communication. I also find this with the typed points. It can be easy to lose the plot of what is being discussed or to have a point you wish to make missed all together.

What do others think?

Judy

1 comment:

Val Evans said...

Good on you Judy and thanks for taking the time to reflect.

Always difficult to meet everyone's expectations. You will see from Gerry's comments in a previous post that she has felt there has been too much focus on tools.

I must say it was never the intention of this program to focus on learning different technologies other than the basic tools needed for the interaction of participants over the 10 weeks. Thus the different workshops I have directed you all too being offered by the Networks' e-Tools n Tips sessions happening at the moment (see flexiblelearning.net.au/networks).I notice there is a Video in e-Learning session on Wednesday, 26 September, 3:30 - 4:30 pm. This program was aimed to have a more strategic focus for Managers of e-Learning - covering the bigger picture.

Thanks for the points re conversations in our online meeting, and the length of those meetings. I did break from what I knew to be best, ie 1 hour online is enough, when I set the times. I was torn between what was best and wanting to cover as much as possible in a short program. Lesson learned and thank you for the reminder.